No more movies like there used to be

My Mom and I used to go to the movies practically every Wednesday when I was in Jamaica. If it was a kung-fu movie or a good action movie, her best friend would come along too. We generally went to Carib 5 in Cross Roads. I mean, since even before it burned down when it was the largest cinema in the Caribbean. We had our own special seats, up the left stairs, right at the top of the stairs. Moms and I would go see everything together, even animated movies, for a long time we didn't miss a single Disney movie. The last one's we saw together were Pocahantas, Mulan, Antz, Toy Story...

After my Mom died I said I was never going to the movies again. Luckily for me, my friends at UCU weren't about to have that and dragged me off to the cinemas to see movies like Bad Boys II, Lord of the Rings II and III, The Passion of Christ, Van Helsing and The Day After Tomorrow. I've only been to Carib 5 once since Moms passed away two years ago. And I barely realized anything because J and I were on our honeymoon all bubbly and happy... besides we'd gone to see The Village and I was scared witless, plus there was some old flame of J's that was there who I wanted to beat to a bloody pulp, so I didn't have time to dwell on Mommy.

But her best friend now hasn't been to any move theatre since the last time she went with Moms. When I just got here I went to see Star Wars Episode III and even though that was at Palace Cineplex in Ligunea there were times when I had to fight back tears. Like when the National Anthem was playing (in Jamaica we play our National Anthem at the start of all movies and we have intermission) Moms would tell off people so that they stood up and showed proper respect. I always told her to be careful and mind that one day somebody wouldn't box her over but no one ever did, everyone always stoof up.

Her best friend and I were supposed to go to Carib this evening to see Kung Fu Hustle but she said she didn't think she could go through with it, so we've taken a raincheck for Saturday. I was hoping we could've just gone today so I wouldn't have time to think about it but I won't force her to go because I'm scared too and I know how hard it's going to be.

No comments: