My Promise

While it hasn't been too terribly long since I last blogged it has been a considerable length of time since I last blogged consistently. All that is now going to change. I made a statement to my boss when I was leaving work today and during the drive home the sentiment took the shape of a promise that I've now made to myself.

I am going to blog every day.

Every day, you might say? What happens if one of those crazy drivers where you lives crashes into your car and lands you in the hospital? Should that happen - and it very nearly did this morning - then no, I won't be blogging... well, not on Blogger. Just in my head.

Bet you're wondering how this all came about? Well, Monday was my first day on the job as Assistant Editorial Page Editor at the local newspaper. And I truly can't remember the last time I was so proud of myself. Today while discussing my first week my boss said that he was amazed at how smoothly I fit in and I couldn't help but grin, I was thinking the same thing - it was like putting on an old shoe. And while that might seem strange to any man reading this, all my ladies will know exactly what I mean. I actually dug out an old pair of shoes today, my beloved strappy black heels and I felt like I was walking on air.

Nowhere is ever going to be as vibesy as the Observer, but you know what the News Herald doesn't have to be. My newsroom is the perfect blend of the vibes and streamlined order. Mind you, I also said that the honeymoon period is drawing to an end, so it will be interesting to see what this second week holds.

This all has me thinking how as much as we might try not to, humans do validate their self-worth based on the job they do - men especially. As a wife and mom, I also have another set of criteria and I've got to say, juggling all the various balls is hard work (take your mind out the gutter, it's an expression!).

I just hope that I can find some closure in other areas of my life, well no, just one. It has me feeling quite helpless and at a loss, but working on it is also teaching me a valuable lesson - that some things take time.

No comments: