Migraines and the BMW 7 series


This migraine ranks up there as one of the worst ever. I can't believe I'm actually here staring at the laptop but oh well. When I came in from work (and you know I must've looked like crap when I was leaving because the gym guy, who usually shouts down as I drive out to ask why I'm not going to work out, took one look at me and said, "Yes Kim, go home and lie down.") I went straight upstairs, and crashed on the bed in the pitch black house. The only reasons I'm down here now are: 1. food and 2. I thought J would be online by now.

And I lay this migraine squarely at the feet of the BMW 7 series. I didn't even see the car today at the ADA 2005 Motor Show at the National Arena but it still gave me a headache. I mean, J$23,000,000.00 for a car? And those are the right amount of zeros. That's like approximately US$359,000.00. Of course the car wasn't at the show, was all I could say after hearing the price, the people who can afford to buy a car like that would never have to mingle with us plebs, I'm sure they'd drive the damn car to their residence for them! I'd already had a headache after one of the reporters from work pointed out that the J$115,000+ listed in the windscreen of one BMW sedan was not the down payment but the monthly payment, the downpayment being a measly half a million Jamaican dollars. All I could blurt out was, "So what must the insurance on these things be like?!"

I was wayyy out of my league.

Jamaica and the Credit Card Mentality

So I took myself upstairs to the model cars section, where I found a nice yellow Initial D RX-7 FD3S for J$3000.00, which I'll be getting J for Christmas. Speaking of upstairs, right before the model cars booth I was accosted by an NBC representative. She definitely gets points for her approach though, she wasn't pushy or overbearing or rude or anything, so I went over to hear what she had to say. Since we were at a car show, her first spiel was about a car loan. I think I shocked her with my declaration of love for Max, my 15-year-old car that I refuse to part with. On hearing Nissan 240SX she couldn't hide the complete look of "Huh?" from her face, but she gets points for the comeback, "Well, it sure sounds fast." Sadly, I had to point out that Max, in fact, isn't fast (the car should do somewhere around 16.55 on the quarter mile, he's built to corner not go in a straight line). So anyway, I patiently explained that my goal is to set-up my car, not sell it. At which point she proceeded to tell me that a credit card was exactly the thing for me.

Jamaica, we're in trouble. Because here I was thinking to myself that I was doing the right thing by waiting until I saved up enough from my paycheque to actually afford the parts and mods without credit. God help us, another trait from our northern neighbours is knocking on the door.

No comments: