Vibrant vignettes

Courage to speak


Yesterday after our vision walk and our tour of Ciudad Sandino, we visited evening service at Ministerio del Espírito Santo, in what felt like the far side of Managua. Afternoon and evening services are apparently popular because congregations meet in the cooler part of the day, but somethings are still the same. Church didn't fill up until almost the end of the second worship song. Afterward, we went straight into a time for sharing testimonies, and now I have to admit that this was my first full Pentacostal church service since I was a teenager. So I was nervous. Plus, I'd agreed to give my testimony. So I was doubly nervous. Then on the drive over I'd learned that Nicaragua is predominantly Catholic (I shouldn't have been surprised) and is vehemently against abortion. For some reason, I took that to mean people here are also vehemently against divorce. (Don't ask why. I think I was looking for any excuse to be anxious.) So I was tripley nervous. 

Thankfully, courage is faith that has said its prayers, and the notes you see in the picture translates into a testimony that I know gave glory to God and not me.


I hugged so many people, high-fived and picked up numerous children, and practiced lots of survival Spanish. We're the first LifeLink group to share communion with a church, and I experienced the amazing power of the Holy Spirit to link a church together even if all the body doesn't speak the same language. Muy bonita.

On the importance of education


This little preciosa nina lives in a one-bedroom home with her mom, dad, sister, and adorable baby brother Samuel Isaac. The home has dirt floors and has raw sewage flowing 6-10 feet from the entrance. You probably wouldn't be surprised if I told you that the dirt floor was clean and swept, and that the one-bedroom home is meticulously kept. In my previous experiences abroad and at home, poor people often have the neatest homes. Dirt, concrete, or tile--it's as clean as can be. What did surprise me though is that the number one request of the residents of Ciudad Sandino was for help educating their children. That's what Mike Turner from LifeLink said he was told at a community meeting, and that's how Centro Escuelar LifeLink was born.


Here in Nicaragua, the average highest education level completed for women is second grade and for men it's third grade. This little girl may well be already more educated than her mother because LifeLink goes up to third grade. Whether that's the case or not, I can tell you I think her parents are very proud of her education and achievements at school. This photo was in a place of honor and her mom glowed as she showed it to us. 

And my heart turned over. 


No comments: