I always get what I need

Do you read a daily devotional? You should. Even if you're not a Christian, starting your day with reflection and something to grow your mind is a great idea. I've found the days when I dive into a devotional and spend time with God are much more productive and less frantic and stressful. Plus, I have more energy left at the end of the day, which is super important for us single moms.

This year, I'm reading Joyce Meyer's Promises for Everyday Life daily devotional and I always get what I need whenever I crack open (click open) my YouVersion Holy Bible app--even when I'm behind in my reading.

For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice. (James 3:16 NIV)

I read that verse and immediately thought, "Yay! We're not talking to me this morning." You know that moment when you think that this devotional or message or whatever isn't for you because you've got this. Away from me, pride! That's something I'll probably dive into later, but this morning I smiled and thought OK, no envy. Check. No selfish ambition. Check. And certainly no disorder and evil practice. Whew. 

But then I read on and was reminded that for those checkmarks to remain checked, I have to remain humble above all else, and no matter what the situation. By the time I got to the prayer, I realized the devotional was talking to me this morning: As I head off on my mission trip to Life Link International in Nicaragua tomorrow, I have to stay humble so that I can keep those checkmarks checked. No envy. Someone on my team gets a gazillion hallelujahs during their testimony, while I get barely a hand clap. No selfish ambition. Someone on the team leads someone to salvation, and I don't. I'm sure that seemed as silly to you as you read that as I did to me while I typed that, but pride, envy, and selfish ambition are sneaky buggers, and I want none of them tagging along or popping up on this trip. 

So Joyce was talking to me this morning. Thanks, God!

No comments: