Suds of solidarity

Hugs. Back rubs. Laughter. Sweets. More hugs and more laughter.

Wash. Or as Linda called it, "Busting those suds!" Rinse. Dry. Repeat.


Wednesday was filled with the rhythm of the kitchen and more bonding with Doribel, Margarita, Doris, and Christina. Linda and I were drawn even more into the amazing thing that happens when women work together toward a goal. I don't even have a word for that that thing is, but I'll definitely accept suggestions because that thing is a think of God and extremely powerful.

It produces momentum... We cleared snack cups and lunch cups and lunch dishes on a dime for all the students coming to the kitchen. 

It produces grace that covers mistakes... I wasn't run out the kitchen when I sliced the tomatoes for our team's lunch the wrong way or when I passed a tray of empty cups to be handed to the children. 

It produces love that looks out for each other... Like when Doris waggled her finger at me for hunching over the sink, and then rubbed out the soreness in my back. 


Sure, Linda and I made mistakes, but the ladies corrected us with smiles and teased us with laughter. Maybe Wednesday was even better because we went to Doribel and Margarita's church on Tuesday evening. Linda shared an amazing message about not letting doubt and discouragement keep you from your God-given purpose. Or maybe we had this experience because we're foreigners and hosts of Mike and Deborah Turner from LifeLink International. I can see why that would be the case, but I'd still love to be able to bottle the solidarity of the past four days and apply my experiences to team situations I've come across in ministry and at work. 

On Thursday, Doribel said she the others could leave but that she was going to chain Linda and I to the sink. I know they'll miss our help on Friday with the fifth member of their team, Rosa, still out. But I think they'll also miss the laughter and fun we've had, especially after we'd clear the children and our team's lunch things away and chat while resting our feet.

I know I will.

No comments: