Pet peeves

What is it with people who come up to you and say, "Now I don't mean to be negative or criticize but..." I mean, really, cut the crap. Yes, you absolutely have to be open to criticism, suggestions and comments, but I'd like to think those should be of the constructive kind. True, that statement in itself is quite innocent, but you know it's anything but by the smirk that accompanies it on the speakers face. They may as well push the: 'Get Kim's Back Up' button, because although I've learned to mask my emotions (they used to play on my face like the lastest blockbuster showng at Carib 5), I instantly go on the offensive. No, not defensive, no retreating into any shell here. I instantly start thinking how I'm going to cut the person off so I can get back to what I was doing before.

See, the sad thing is that it's always easier for humans to bitch. Finding something negative to say is usually not too hard, and some people seem to delight in actually searching for ways to bring other people down. We live in a society where people will happily harp on the slightest mistake or shortcoming until the second coming of our Lord, but ask them how everyone is going to move forward or dare to ask if they have a solution and they draw blank quicker than special forces guys on a training simulation.

I think that's what annoys me most about that statement, the underlying knowledge that most times the speaker has nothing positive to add, because you know what, I love hearing suggestions and new ideas. Even if it's not the instant solve-all answer. They're usually a start and you can sit down together and hash things out from there - your ideas triggering mine and back and forth we go - until the problem runs a little bit smoother, or we've ironed out most things to make sure that the mistake doesn't occur again.

Idealism, it's a hell of a burden to bear I tell you.

No comments: