Christmas Countdown

Christmas has become a very hard time of the year for me. This was the holiday my Mom and I always enjoyed together and had many little rituals that comprised the fabric of the season. It went beyond putting up the tree together, untangling lights and choosing wrapping paper. My earliest memories of Christmas involve Mommy playing Grandma's piano and us belting our carols at the top of our lungs. Traditional Jamaican things like sorrel, rum cake and, of course, Grandma's special punch. Christmas dinner at Aunt Peggy's (God, I miss her so much, too), Boxing Day dinner at Aunt Berl's and then we'd have New Year's Day brunch at our house. I rmemeber one year she was so sick she cooked sitting on a stool by the stove.

Another memory I have is being stuck in rush hour traffic on Barbic circle one evening, and then this came over the radio... this one is a very fond memory, indeed :-) Christmas Countdown by Frank Kelly

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm looking forward to the sorrel as usual. What's a Jamdown Christmas without that? Since I'm vegetarian-almost-vegan, no meat for me, lol. Guess it's gonna be tofu. Again. Unless I come up with something else. Either way, I'm not fussy. I just want my sorrel, lol.

slybabyk said...

Jamaican Dawta... Mmmm sorrel, gosh I wouldn't know where to turn to get that here. I remember drying sorrel would be spread on every available surface in my house at this time of year. I'm going to make my grandma's Christmas punch though, I can definitely find the ingredients for that :-)