Tanning the belly with no shame

So I took my pregnant self to Hellshire Beach last Thursday. A co-worker and I decided to beat the Easter weekend rush and catch some rays and eat some Escoveitch fish before the hordes descended on Easter Friday. Since I don't own (and don't intend to buy) a materntiy bathing suit, I marshalled my courage, slipped into my black boy-short bikini, grabbed my towel and headed out the house.

The whole experience was funny and surreal to the extreme. There I am, spindly arms, spindly legs and a round mass of belly in front of me that no one apparently could mistake for fat. One guy even tried to hit on me in the water! "Baby mother," he said, "You know we man always give up seat to unuh in the bus." I was like, "Uh... okay." I honestly can't remember the last time I took a bus. So I just said thank you and then moved swiftly to another area in the water. At one point I felt really self conscious though because so many people were staring at me (as if I didn't invite that upon myself LOL) but my co-worker reassured me. "Don't worry Kim," she said, "This is Jamaica. Everyone thinks pregnant women are cute..." then she added something to the effect that it was so obvious that I was pregnant because I'm so skinny there couldn't be any other explantion.

I'm glad I went though. The day was nice, the sun not too hot and the fish and festival was deeeelicious. Definitely something that I'm going to try and do more often as this pregnancy progresses.

No comments: