Florida baaaaby!

Goodbye B-52s, hello F-22s! After a gruelling 11 hour, 2 day drive we arrived in Panama City, Florida last Saturday along with my friend and her husband who were nice enough to follow us down here to make sure we didn't get lost. Her husband has family in southern Alamaba and they were en route to my friend's baby shower, but they took leave early to come down with us and show us around a bit since the husband had been stationed at the base here temporarily for five months last year. Mind you, the devil was strong. J's turbo exhaust manifold broke in two not one hour into our drive and we ended up having to get a Uhaul and an auto transporter to bring his car down here. It's only God and his angels why I managed to drive my car all the way down here, although my friend did have to drive with me before we made out overnight stop in Foley, Alabama because I'd started dropping asleep and swerving all over the road.

This place is nice. We're at Tyndall Air Force Base, which is actually east of Panama City. All the spring break mad teens and young adults are at Panama City Beach which is west of PC and over a really big bridge. MTV films here at Club Lavela and apparently there was quite a crush at the Ying Yang Twins concert over there a couple nights ago. That picture to the left could have been taken at a beach that just down from the base if you're heading on I-98E towards Mexico Beach. Yes, beach, beach, beach... it might not be the startlingly clear blue waters that we as Jamaicans are used to, but it's not too shabby either. And this is just March! I can't image what the summer will be like.

I've already found a guy with a stand at the mall who makes the best fresh lemonade. Seems to me this pregnancy this has me craving sour and salt. The only sweet I can deal with is a 99c Sonic Junior Banana Split, with no chocolate topping because I've given up chocolate for Lent. In other baby news, I'm really starting to show now. Although in a t-shirt and jeans I still just look like a "mawga girl with gas". J' and I are still crossing our fingers that we can get an obstetrics visit scheduled for next week before I leave so that we can find out whether we're having a boy or girl when we're together. Other than watching the countdown for the beginning of hurricane season (T-64), right now it's kicking back at the base inn and watching to see what housing options come up, while enjoying the fabulous weather...

3 comments:

Mad Bull said...

ok, so you are travelling... So, Jason flies, or is he an aircraft mechanic or wah?

slybabyk said...

he can fly, he has a private pilots license. but in the USAF he was a paramedic at our old base but now he's going to be a clinician.

Scratchie said...

Hey Kim...just saying hi...hope all is going well....