Baby names and other stuff

For some strange reason J and I had already had a boy's name picked out from last fall. At first we'd wanted Thomas, so that we could shorten it to Tommi (you know, World Rally Champion Tommi Makinen) but then someone else in the Jamaican motorsports community had a boy and there the name went. We both agreed that Petter was out of the question, and that the meaning would be lost with Peter. And then we hit upon it, right at the same time actually... Colin. We both adore Colin McRae, I once had to talk J out of buying an Xbox just so he could play Colin McRae Rally 2005, and even though he isn't a WRC driver anymore, we still follow his career with avid interest. (He looks set to go from Paris-Dakar rallying to NASCAR of all things!) So we had Colin, and then Burnsie passed away and the boy's name became Colin Richard, because we loved Richard Burns as well. (You'd have to take a look through the old threads in the Wheels Jamaica International and Local Rallying section to see what I mean).

But what about a girl's name? Even though J had already said to me that he'd love it if we had a baby girl, we were stuck at the name Melissa, which was what he would've been called had he been a girl. Then two nights ago it came to me, literally in a dream... J loved it as soon as he heard it.

Other stuff... I've gotten a couple messages about the part of my MSN nickname that says "I never thought being second best could feel so good" but it's true! Last week I got the awardees list for the 2005 Jamaica Millenium Motoring Club awards and I'm on it! I'm going to get a second place trophy for the Lady Dexterity Championship. I'm SO happy. I mean this was my first year and I only did three events, true, not that many ladies compete, so all I had to do was set good times and not DNF. But as I many people have told me, it is quite possible to DNF all three runs at a dexterity event. On Friday I was being teased that I won't be able to do any dexes this season but I think I can squeeze the first two and last one. I'll drive my 240sx, and since I drive the car everyday that shouldn't be a problem, and I'll run for points and not glory. That should set me up for either second or third place again and then for the 2007 season I can hopefully look at sponsorship and maybe even get some sprints under my belt. We'll see. I'm just really happy that there's a trophy out there with my name on it :-)

4 comments:

Mad Bull said...

You go, Kim! Wicked!

Scratchie said...

mind yuhself....bout run dex. Yuh can always pick up back that after the baby. Crazy, 240SX driver type mad nissan loving woman..... :O

slybabyk said...

it's an addiction :( i did talk about it with J and he said that since i'm driving my street car i'll be okay. i've never been out of 2nd gear in any dexterity (and that 2nd gear thing was only twice i think) and it's a controlled course. i'll be a lot safer than i am driving around daily with all these mad cabbies and bus men. *thumbs up*

Mad Bull said...

(* knock, knock *)

Yoo hoo, anybody home?

(* knock, knock *)