The '09 Rebuild Pt. III - Video Card

So I bought the video card before everything else. When it arrived, J and I decided to install it on the current motherboard to see how improved my simming would be. (Bear in mind, TigerDirect had the other components arriving sometime in April, so I was looking to have anything else for awhile). I was sick as a dog that day, but as always, computers are too much of a lure for me to stay in bed. (I once installed a new machine while in the grip of dengue fever LOL)

J helped me get the case on its side and open. He also helped me get two slots open at the back because these newer graphics card take up the space below them. Turns out, that wasn't the only thing extra they need because when we installed the card and turned on the machine... nothing. For a second I thought we'd killed it, but the fans above the big copper middle section (circular too, MSI for the win!) were spinning happily. I got on the laptop and did some hunting around and found out that the card needed its own 6-pin power supply off the PSU. OK... what 6-pin supply? Everything on my PSU except the SATA cables and the main board power had only 4 pins.

That's when things started going over budget (which started at $250, by the way).

Rather than order a converter and wait, I decided to go ahead and get a new PSU because my power supply only provided 50 watts more than what the card called for... probably not good.

My choice?
  • Antec's 650-watt ATX EarthWatts line CPU
I gotta admit, with J's help (I'm hopeless at lining up screws sometimes!) it was remarkably easy — J's help is probably why LOL With the new PSU in, the video card was ready to fly and I've got to say it's impressive. Next up is acquiring an HDMI cable because my Hanspree monitor supports it :-) This is one of the reviews I read http://www.techaddicts.net/reviews/ea650/ea650.html before buying the PSU.

Here's a pic of this bad boy inside the case. I've got to say I like the stylish purple sticker on the side, although as one reviewer said, it doesn't offer much information

No comments: