Bitter meltdown

OK, the financial crisis has finally hit home: Candy prices have been hit by inflation. I just got done cleaning out all the pennies in my desk drawer to make up 95 cents for a pack of Starburst. I'd always thought the original 85 cents was a rip off but when I needed candy, I needed candy. But when I went to the vending machine today (after already converting 10 pennies at the cashier), I immediately knew I was in trouble. The prices were off the Starburts, Skittles, Jolly Ranchers and M&Ms. I had to hit the D7 code to see the price - 95 cents.

So it was back to my desk to scrounge for more loose change. I finally had to ask a coworker for a penny to make up the 15 cents I needed. Yes, people, Iceland is at risk of defaulting on its sovereign debt and the U.S. and E.U. are nationalizing companies in droves, but it's finally hit home now. We're in for some hard times folks. It's time to buy an extra mattress.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's funny. Yeah, the price of everything is going up. I hope this is all over like really soon. Every day it just feels like the never-ending bad dream.

slybabyk said...

Well, at least gas is going down where we are. It changes at least twice a day. The price of premium was down to $3.06 when hubby picked Moo Moo up at daycare. I'm hoping it will be below $2 when I go to drop her off tomorrow morning :-)