Stress relief

How do you unwind after a hard day's work? Sometimes hard days aren't even defined by their length, sometimes it's simply the intensity of the day that pushes you past the point where you're normally able to absorb and deflect that stress and the tension that accumulates. On the way home today, I was driving with J and the Scubby and I gave the Altima its head, so to speak. Contrary to what you might think, it's not a matter of speeding, it's just driving as in synch with your partner as you possibly can. Still, I know other people on the road thought I was crazy because when we drive like that I maintain a distance quite close behind J's car and we switch lanes almost as if he was calling notes in my ear from his vehicle. I think I even managed to push him off his line as we turned into our subdivision, but I doubt that just as much as I'd like that to be true.

It all brought back memories of The Hill back home in Jamaica.

Anyone who really knew me while I held down my former newspaper position will know that after putting the Friday pull-out to bed on Tuesdays, I always took the long way home. Sometimes Oxford Road to Old Hope Road and up through Liguanea. Other times across Hope Road, past Kings House and by Barbican Circle, always to the foot of the west side of Jacks Hill.

For a wide variety of reasons, even if I went home now I wouldn't run that route like that again. Pity though. I've not found anything that quite matches up to that hill.

(Pictured is Max, my 240SX that made my Jamaican "deployment" livable.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nothing like putting pedal to the metal, hearing the engine roar and seeing the scenes flash by in the corner of your eyes. Ahhhh...

slybabyk said...

Yeah, I definitely miss being able to get out to events as participate as much as I used to.